As promised (or threatened), the first two photos are of the control stand past and present.  The old (Omnitrax) horn valve and the bracket behind it had to come off in order to mount the Gyro light control box in its original location.  As mentioned earlier, I installed an original style horn valve on the back wall where it used to be and cabled it up as original.  The radio on top of the amp meter and the speedometer are from my stock.  The old speedometer just plain looked bad.

Don McPherson offered to cure my problem with the Gyro control switch and will do so next week.  Once I install it in the housing, the control panel will be done, except for a little paint.

Someone asked about the center gage on the panel.  It is called a "flow meter" and is used to tell how much air is going into the brake pipe. It is only really useful on long trains and in fact was broken.  In addition, the brake stand currently in the 4423 does not have a connection for the gage so I blanked it out.  One less thing to fix and pay attention to.

My primary project for today was to replace the seal on the load regulator motor and clean the regulator resistors.  I think the cover had been leaking for about 5 years judging by the oil in the resistors.  Photo "load regulator 1" is of the motor after I removed the cover. You really can't see much because the oil is so darn dark and reflective but it gives you and idea of how awfully dirty it can be.  Note the oil running out of the bottom of the motor.  What a mess!  While in a cleaning mood, I also washed down the entire block in preparation for replacing the valve cover gaskets.

And, while I had the 5623 air compressor running, I cleaned out the 4423's air compressor high pressure head exhaust chamber in preparation for receiving the rebuilt valves.

Dan Furtado was as good as his word and started grinding off the patches that had been applied to the Gyro light mounting.  I hate to steal him from the 918 project but, - - yeah, sure I do.

I undertook to finish the radio antenna installation and try to caulk the seam in the short hood that leaks so badly.  The next rain will prove or disprove the quality of this job.

I also started the repair of another problem child.  The section of floor just inside the engineer's door needs to come out.  It has dirt and crap under it which has caused it to rise creating a tripping hazard but more importantly, it has to come out in order to replace a broken air line.  The copper air line to the horn valve comes up from the basement and is trapped by this floor section.  Earlier, I had found that the line was leaking badly and has been for some time as there was a rubber patch and 4 hose clamps applied as a fix somewhere in the dim past.  This will be fun as the floor section is held down by a panel on the wall that is very securely rusted into place.

I think I will take tomorrow off.

Click on any thumbnail for a larger image.  Use your browser's "back" button to get back here.

Return to Updates Index