My goal for today was to finish the preparation and painting of the left side number box.  After a bunch of wire brushing, chemical treating and paint, it was done.  All that is left now is to install the light sockets and wire them.  It's nice to set a goal and meet it.

After the number box work was done, I decided to tackle the air compressor unloader system.  The compressor is supposed to pump up to 140 pounds, unload, and when the pressure falls to 130 pounds, start pumping again.  Earlier in the week, I had removed the pressure switch and cleaned and lubricated it.  I put it back in place and fired up the engine.  After a bit of adjusting, the compressor cycled as it is supposed to.  I have noticed that the air pressure in the 4423 bleeds off rather quickly but cannot hear any leaks.  One of these days, I need the assistance of someone who has not had their hearing ruined by exposure to these diesel besties.

An interesting development occurred a while back.  Through the generous donation of Jim Evans, we now are the proud owners of a couple of genuine Mars red oscillating lights.  They are both in reasonable condition and today, Dan Furtado sand blasted the casings for both lights.  Next comes primering and then assembly of the mechanisms which I will try to do next week, one day after work.  Luckily, the mounting holes for the Mars lights are only thinly welded up so drilling and tapping them on the rear end of the 4423 was not a problem.  I hope this will hold true on the front.  We shall see after the rear end is complete.  The installation of these lights will make the 4423 a rare locomotive indeed.  The third photo is a test fit of the Mars red light base to the holes I drilled and tapped.

Click on any thumbnail for a larger image.  Use your browser's "back" button to get back here.

Return To Updates Index